You’ll rely on your air conditioning system a great deal now that summer has arrived. But is your AC working at the best of its abilities? When problems start up in your home’s cooling system, you have to know how to recognize the signs so you can schedule repairs as soon as possible. The longer you allow a malfunction to continue, the worse the problem will become, as a chain reaction of other malfunctions will follow until you have a broken AC.
Below are a few warning signs your AC may send you that need to have immediate attention from air conditioning professionals. (You can reach our AC repair experts any time of the day or night for emergency service.)
- Ice on the system: No, ice on an air conditioner is not normal. Unfortunately, people often think it’s a simple byproduct of cooling action, but it’s really an indication of a serious problem with the AC, such as grime on the coil or a loss of refrigerant. Have the frosty air conditioner checked out right away.
- Hissing sounds: A sound like escaping gas is probably exactly that: refrigerant gas escaping through a leak along a refrigerant line. Loss of refrigerant will eventually cause catastrophic damage to an air conditioner, so don’t delay when calling for help.
- Clicking and grinding noises: These mechanical straining sounds are often indicating that a motor is wearing down or the capacitors are on the verge of failing.
- Hot spots in the house: A number of problems with an AC or the ventilation system can lead to certain rooms in your home feeling hotter than they should. Let professionals track down the root cause and fix it.
- Tripped breakers: Does the air conditioner regularly cause a circuit breaker to trip? This can mean a major electrical problem in the system.
Air Creations, Inc. offers air conditioning services to Westfield and throughout Central and Northern New Jersey.